sábado, 18 de septiembre de 2010

Festes de Poble Nou

Every year, normally towards the end of the summer, different neighborhoods in Barcelona throw street parties. However I think that saying that they are street parties is putting it quite lightly...
These events are planned all year, decorations are made, music and other things are also prepared and everyone looks forwards them with great excitement.
This is my first year of living in the neighborhood of Poble Nou, I will probably go into more detail later about this area (one that I am VERY fond of.)
The parties started last saturday and the streets have been filled with decorations strung from building to building, smells of food cooking in the open air, long tables stretched where roads should be and of course music. The other night I even saw a mass Bingo session taking place where a main road normally is. And I can't really speak about "las fiestas" without mentioning the "CorreFoc", which is basically a fire parade (corre= run foc= fire)..complete with masked devils and dragons spitting fire and fireworks and wreaking mayhem in the streets, its both insanely fun but terrifying at the same time.
The thing I really love about these parties, and especially the ones in this area, is the sense of community and fun. The sense of belonging and pride in being where you are from and also welcoming those who are not from here. Everyone in the street come rain or sunshine enjoying the parties. You may have noticed some photos on my website with fire and decorations, they were taken in Gracia parties (the biggest street parties/festival in Barcelona).
I wanted to capture these scenes quickly, so enjoy a little insite to these parties and my neighborhood.
FestaFesta
FestaFesta
FestaFesta

Walking around this area, enjoying the people and sites, has given me a few project ideas. So be sure to check it out soon!
I am pleased to introduce something a little more personal to the blog, and I have a few more posts lined up on that note as well... again just comment here if there is anything you'd like to know!

1 comentario:

  1. que bueno tu blog... me encanta.. pasate por el mio cuando quieras
    www.silversroadnottaken.blogspot.com

    ResponderEliminar